Friday, October 23, 2009

Literally Halloween

My posts of late have been a bit emotional and consuming for me...so I am lightening up a bit for the upcoming Holiday season...relishing in the fact that I still have a little guy at home that makes holidays magical...and they will be for quite a few more years. My collection of Halloween books comes out at this time every year. By far, the favorite holiday collection of the year. And Derek loves the macabre a bit more than Clint ever did. Poor Clint still gets freaked out about anything the least bit eerie. Not Derek.
I asked on Facebook for Halloween reading suggestions. I love my Halloween books, but like to add to the collection every year. This year we took Aunt Kim's suggestion and picked up Skeleton Hiccups. An instant favorite. Very wacky and cute. And who doesn't love Skeletons???

My personal favorite is still Scary, Scary Halloween by Eve Bunting. I love the pictures, and the twist at the end, as well as the poetry. Lots of my other friends recommended The little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid Of Anything by Linda Williams and Megan Lloyd. Another one of our family favorites. I also just ordered Witch, Witch come to my party, Story by Arden Druce and Artwork by Pat Ludlow. This was recommended by my sister for the art work, and it is pretty incredible.Here are just a few other titles I would like to Mention, I guess maybe a top 10? These are in no particular order...just the Halloween Books I love most...so far...
  • Scare the Moon by Harriet Ziefert Illustrated by G. Brian Karas
  • The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything by Linda Williams Illustrated by Megan Lloyd
  • There's A Nightmare In My Closet by Mercer Mayer (This one stays on the bookshelf all year long).
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Spooky Old Tree by Stan and Jan Berenstain (My Favorite when I was a little girl...I would still love to find a tree like that...)
  • Big Pumpkin by Erica Silverman Illustrated by S. D. Schindler
  • Skeleton Hiccups by Margery Cuyler Illustrated by S. D. Shcindler
  • Scary Scary Halloween by Eve Bunting Illustrated by Jan Brett
  • Grumpy Bunny's Spooky Night by Justine Korman Illustrated by Lucinda McQueen (Derek's Choice)
  • Franklin's Halloween by Paulette Bourgeois Illustrated by Brenda Clark (This was Clint's favorite when he was little...He still listens to Halloween Stories, even though he would never admit it...)
  • Witch, Witch Will You Come To My Party? By Arden Duce Illustrated by Pat Ludlow.

I had this book when I was a little girl that I loved Called The Witch of Hissing Hill...I wonder if my mom and dad still have that book.

What is your favorite Halloween book?

3 comments:

Tom & Michelle said...

My favorite Halloween book of all time is still The little old lady who was not afraid of anything. But you already had that on your list. When I worked at the daycare the kids would love it when I would read that book to them and make the sound effects to the boots, gloves, etc. I love Halloween! And really like your theme song! Very fitting. It puts me in the Halloween mood! Derek looks really cute with all the books around him :)

Greg & Andrea said...

I remember the book There's a Nightmare in my Closet..Loved it! I think it's great that you have so many great books and ones for the holiday seasons. What a fun treat for Derek.

Kimmby said...

I got 2 new ones this year: Inside the House that is haunted (one of those books that build on each other) and Goodnight Goon (based on Goodnight Moon). I'm glad Derek liked Skeleton Hiccups. My class did too!