Monday, February 9, 2015

No Offense Taken

  Passion is important.  I have passion for a few things in my life.  My family, Education, The Arts, America and all it stands for,  my Faith.  And sometimes I feel like something needs to be said.  In response to a most recent quote by Ex-Mormon Feminist Kate Kelly, I feel the need, once again to take a stand for what I believe and to show what few people may be interested to know how I see it.

In her most recent article from The Guardian:  http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/feb/06/gay-mormons-not-the-problem-small-minded-religious-paradigms

Quote:  "Sadly, the Mormon faith has become a place that incentivizes the survival of the least fit. Since strict obedience is demanded and harshly enforced, only the least talented, least articulate, least nuanced thinkers, least likely to take a stand against abuse, and the least courageous people thrive in the Church today"

Right.

 "Sadly, the Mormon faith has become a place that incentivizes the survival of the least fit.



 Since strict obedience is demanded and harshly enforced, only the least talented,














least articulate,


least nuanced thinkers,


  least likely to take a stand against abuse, 
  and the least courageous people thrive in the Church today"


It's not that I am offended by these words.  Taking offense would be my decision to make.  I am not offended.  It's more that I just cant believe that someone who screams for acceptance and tolerance would do the exact opposite of what she is preaching in such a public format.  It's name calling and profiling an entire population, when she doesn't know me, or any of the women I associate with.  We are all individual.  We are intelligent, we are strong, we are talented, yet we can still believe.

Maybe we just all get something that you cant.  Maybe we understand things a little bit more.  I admire all of these women so much because of the questions they have asked and the difficult things they have faced.  Yet they have still managed to come through trials with their faith intact.  They thrive, because of their faith.  I will stand with them.  Their acts speak for themselves.  They, like so many other women I know who endure and understand on a deep level who they are and what their faith means.  I know lots of other women like them.  They do not fit the description you choose to label us as.  Such a harsh generalization only brings your true colors to light.  Once again, those who scream tolerance the loudest really are the least tolerant of all. 

9 comments:

The Atomic Mom said...

This is the best response I have ever seen in regard to anything KK has ever said.

You fixed the internet!

Rachel B said...

Wow! Thanks Atomic Mom!!!

Globe Trecker said...

Bam! Now that is awesome!

Jan said...

This is Awesome!!!!!!!!!!Thank You for saying what many of us would say, and saying it so elegantly.

Montserrat said...

LOVE this! Such a great way to refute that terrible statement.

K said...

I don't know this person you're writing about - happily. But as I read what you have quoted here (sent here by Facebook links), I find myself laughing out loud in a way that makes me feel a little uncomfortable. The woman makes me want to rear back like a very confident little Thing With Teeth and smile at her, the way a cat smiles at a mouse. Does she really want to say that to people like me? Does she really want to challenge my analytical thinking, my creativity, my power to handle large groups of people - my research, my intellect - even my vocabulary? I think not.

Small people with very shallow imaginations say things like this. The pond they perceive gives them a rather abbreviated understanding of the great ocean outside of their little self-contained membranes. She talks big because she doesn't realize how small she is. How sad for her, and for those who are fooled by her bravado.

You see why I'm a little ashamed of my response. It should be charity, not - whatever it is I feel just now. Your response is even tempered and very logical. Lovely. Thank you. I admire it.

Dpburton said...

You should add the names of the people in your pictures. I know most of them, but not all.

Rachel B said...

I love all of these comments so much. It means a lot to have like minded individuals take the time to let me know that I am not the only one who sees things this way. Thank you. In response to Daniel, the photos are of the following amazing women:
1. Noelle Pikus Pace Olympian, Gold Medal winter Olympics 2014
2. Lindsey Stirling, World class violist, youtube star and hip hop dancer
3. Sheri L. Dew, president of Deseret Books and public speaker
4. Tamu Smith and Zandra Vranes from the radio show "Sistas in Zion"
5. Elizabeth Smart

ColorRita said...


Rachel, you are one of the most impressive women I know. Thanks so much for speaking out for the millions of women in the Church who are intelligent, accomplished, dedicated to serving others, and incredibly awesome pillars in Church and Community. Not to mention those who are A#1 Moms who do an incredible job of raising righteous children, which is a BIG accomplishment in this day and time. You are a keeper! Glad you're mine!!!